About yours truly.
1. Some of my pet peeves include excessive plurals, lack of self-awareness (especially at grocery stores for some reason), and poor table manners.
2. I am really good at thrift store shopping. I rotate which stores to visit so there are new items available and am patient enough to spend hours sorting through weird stuff to find one or two treasures. Clothing, kitchen items, household goods, furniture? I’ve got it all covered.
3. If an alien planet attacks Earth and the only way we can all be saved is if someone is able to rap every word of Will Smith’s album Willennium, I will save us all.
4. My top three travel destinations are Portugal, Costa Rica, and Greece. Fourth is India.
5. I have a cat named after Van Morrison.
6. Speaking of Van Morrison, Into the Mystic, Astral Weeks, Moonshine Whisky, Tupelo Honey, Slim Slow Slider, and Domino are my favorites. Go listen now.
7. I always, always overpack.
8. I share my May 9th birthday with my dad and one of my best friends.
9. I’m really scared of heights and deep water. The high dive? Hell. No.
10. I live alone (well, with the cat), and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I love every minute.
After a week of enjoying big dinners and happy hours while on vacation, I need to give my system a break and get back on a healthy food plan. Now, I brought my juicer on vacation and made big pitchers of juices almost every day. I drank them for breakfast and lunches and sometimes just in addition to eating meals so I could get healthy nutrients in my system to combat the pasta, seafood, cheese, tacos, and vats of wine I consumed (why can’t vacation be every day?). I’m glad I didn’t skip a week of juicing but am feeling sluggish and guilty. I’m putting myself on a stricter plan for the next week. Juicing, healthy food, no booze. Starting today. Sort of.
I was hoping to juice more today than I did. I snacked more this afternoon than I would have liked. Blah, blah, blah. I didn’t do so great for my first official day 1 of this week-long plan. However, I did have a major win when I closed the Z Pizza online order internet tab that I’d had sitting open for, oh, about two hours. I was hungry, and they have a new prosciutto, mozzarella, arugula, and pesto pizza, which might as well be called The Liz. My manipulative brain whispered, “Let’s start this healthy food plan tomorrow. Order the lovely, lovely pizza, open that bottle of red wine you forgot you had, and let’s celebrate Friday with Netflix and a festival of carbs!” But I fought back. The internet tab was closed; the bottle of red remains unopened. Instead I juiced 1 mango, 1 small orange, 1 cucumber, and 1 head of romaine lettuce and made green tea. Minor victories for a mediocre first day.
Tomorrow? Juicing throughout the day and maybe a healthy, well-balanced cooking adventure for dinner (spoiler alert: I impulse-bought chicken livers at the grocery store because, well, YOLO). No booze, lots of tea and seltzer water. The first few days are the hardest, especially after a week off. Tomorrow will be better.
I am back from a week’s worth of beach vacation in Buxton, North Carolina. I drove down last Friday and spent two nights in a perfectly tacky beach hotel (complete with knotty pine wood paneling and pastel colored beach paintings) and then went to stay with my mom and step family for another few days. While I had a blast the entire trip, I LOVED my initial solo vacation weekend. I did all the typical Liz things. I overpacked like it was my job, brought scary movies and tons of library books, sat on the deck and had lots of coffee, and woke up entirely too early to sit on the sand and watch the sun come up. The only thing missing was the cat (if it had been a pet-friendly hotel he SO would have been there with me). I recommend a solo vacation to anyone. It’s so refreshing to just do what you want to do and not take into consideration anyone else’s agenda.
In addition, I watched a good amount of HGTV and yelled at the first time homebuyers when they said ignorant things like, “I just want brand new construction that nobody has, like, ever lived in before.” Mom and I drank a lot of really good wine, ate hard and soft shell crabs (my favorite!), and spent a lot of time on the beach. Also? I’m still really good at the bean bag game corn hole. And not at all competitive about it…
I’m back in Williamsburg now though. Back to class and work and real life things like chores and errands. Luckily the family I nanny for is on vacation next week so I don’t have to jump right back into a busy schedule but can ease into a normal routine again. I set up a detox plan for the next week until I head to Richmond on the 3rd. The plan includes healthy eating, juicing, and no alcohol or dessert. I need to take it easy after vacation week. Hopefully I will be successful and can break my healthy fast at Mom’s cookout on Saturday the 3rd. In the meantime, here are some of my favorite photos from the past week…
I think I need to alter the whole “cleanse” idea for this week and just say that I’m incorporating a lot of juice in my daily diet. Yesterday I snacked and had a modified lunch with the boys and ended up having sushi for dinner. Granted, this isn’t the end of the world diet-wise, but it’s disappointing when I was hoping to be on a juice-only diet for 4 days.
That being announced, I’m on “day 4” but feel like crap about it. I’m going to see how well today goes and work on being nicer to myself as well as work on sticking with just juice. Here’s the plan:
- 1 pear, 1 cucumber, turnip greens
- 1 grapefruit, 2 peaches, asparagus, 1 cucumber, romaine, spinach
- 1 apple 1 lemon, ginger, 1 cucumber, kale
- 1 mango, 2 slices pineapple, 1 cucumber, romaine, spinach, kale
I’m hoping to get the boys to a playground this afternoon and think that being out of the house and away from snack temptations will be helpful. Two days until I’m at the beach…two days…
Today was better than yesterday, which is all I can ask for at this point. I stuck to my juicing plan. I added a few snacks including a few pretzels, carrots, wasabi peas, and a sliced green pepper when I was getting hungry and was down a pound from yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll be down once more.
During class this evening, I made the mistake of looking at a bunch of recipes on Pinterest, and now I’m thinking about food. I want a burger or sushi or big thing of frozen yogurt despite the fact that I’m not actually very hungry. I’ve always been an emotional eater so it’s a struggle when anxiety or stress takes over. My goal with this juicing cleanse is to feel comfortable wearing a bikini this weekend. I already feel like I’ve failed so my brain keeps saying, ‘Whatever. We ruined this week so just pack the one-piece this weekend and let’s go find the nearest Chipotle.’ I am fighting this urge at the moment and am instead in pajamas getting ready to watch a movie.
Here’s the plan for tomorrow:
- 1 pear, 1 lemon, asparagus, 1 cucumber, ginger, romaine, spinach
- 3 pineapple slices, 1 cucumber, romaine, kale
- 1 grapefruit, 1 orange, asparagus, red cabbage, romaine, spinach, greens
- 1 apple, 1 lemon, 1 cucumber, spinach, kale
Again, I’ll make a fifth juice at night if I’m really hungry and will have minimal snacks as needed. Tomorrow is another long nannying day, but thankfully I don’t have evening class. I need to finish putting together the weekend bachelorette gifts and maybe make a Costco run. I’m on the fence about the later since it’s usually a zoo out there, and I may run out of energy.
…isn’t it fun that this blog has turned into a glorified to-do list? I promise to get more entertaining at some point in the near future. Until then, juicing and to-do lists! Yay!
Day 1 was partially a failure and partially ok. I maintained my juicing schedule posted the other day, but I ended up eating pizza when I made it for lunch while nannying. It resulted in a an awful stomach ache, feelings of regret and anger, and a belly flop of a failure for day 1. Ugh.
But I went to the grocery and have stocked up for the rest of this week. Here’s tomorrow’s plan:
- 1 pear, 1 lemon, ginger, asparagus, 1 cucumber, romaine, greens
- 1 grapefruit, 1 green apple, 1 cucumber, red cabbage, romaine, kale
- 3 slices pineapple, asparagus, 1 cucumber, romaine, spinach
- 1 orange, 1/2 mango, romaine, spinach, kale
If I am starving before bed, I’ll add a fifth juice. I just chopped and measured everything for tomorrow and have them lined up in tupperware containers in the fridge. Did I mention that juicing is sort of high maintenance? Most of the time, like now, I enjoy the order and ritual of cleaning and prepping and laying out daily juicing plans. It gives me a sense of control and calm that I never, ever get when nannying all day (I’m looking at you, Mr. 5 year old). I just have to make sure I don’t eat whatever lunch and snacks I’m making for the kiddos tomorrow.
Ok. So today has been a series of wrong starts all day. It feels like I’m playing catch-up and am in a rotten mood as a result. First there’s a new morning routine with the boys I’m nannying, which always proves difficult. Second, swim practice was cancelled because of thunder after I corralled the 5 year old, the requisite 2 bags of pool crap, and the 5 year old’s bad attitude to the pool. Then I messed up my juicing day 1 and have been beating myself up over it all day. Finally, in anticipation of a swim meet this evening, 2 of the 3 boys have come down with suspicious stomach aches and coughs. And my apartment is currently a mess so I’m not looking forward to going home to those chores later. Yes, these are all middle class problems, but damn, I’m so over it today and still have hours to go.
Because of all my crankiness and current frustrations, I am forcing myself to come up with at least a few things to be happy about. Sigh.
1. That I am currently able to type this blog post while the boys watch a movie
2. Being done closer to 4:30 pm today instead of 6 pm
3. That I am not a female in any Indiana Jones movie (because they? Get treated like doormats and/or idiots)
4. I get a long vacation weekend from Friday to Monday
5. That I will feel better once my apartment is cleaned this evening
And…that’s all I can come up with at the moment. Baby steps.